Halloween Safety Tips
Happy Halloween! Here are some quick tips to keep your kids safe this Halloween.
- Use reflective tape or stickers on costumes and bags to help make trick-or-treaters visible to pedestrian and vehicle traffic. You can also have kids carry glow sticks to make them more visible.
- Make sure young trick-or-treaters are out with an adult to supervise. For kids that are old enough to go out with a group of friends unsupervised, make sure they stick with areas they are familiar with and have them check in periodically through the evening.
- Trick-or-treat down one side of the street, cross at a corner, crosswalk or traffic signal then do the other side of the street instead of criss-crossing down the street.
- Walk on sidewalks or if there isn't a sidewalk walk facing traffic so you can see oncoming traffic.
- Watch for cars turning or backing up. When crossing roads, make eye contact with drivers before crossing.
- Slow down! Kids are excited and may not always think to look both ways before crossing the street.
- Put your phone and anything else that may distract you down and focus on the road and surroundings.
- Take the time for a second look as there will be lots of kids out on the streets.