Tips for a Successful Garage Sale
Having a garage sale is a great way to purge clutter or downsize your home. Here are a few tips for a successful garage sale.
- Go through your home room by room to find the items you no longer want, need, or use. Don’t forget to go through closets, attics, basements and your garage!
- Gather supplies ahead of time. Tables, garment racks, price tags and signs are just a few things to think about. And remember to have change on hand the day of the sale to make change for customers who only have larger bills.
- Check with your by-law office to see if a permit is required for your open house. You wouldn’t want to get a fine and be shut down after putting in a lot of hard work!
- Location is everything. If you don’t live in an area where you will get a lot of traffic consider having your sale at a friend or family members place where it will be more likely to get a larger crowd.
- Get your neighbours involved! Having a street or multi-family garage sale may help to drive more traffic down your street.
- Pick a date and time. If you start early you will get a larger crowd; not everyone wants to garage sale in the middle of the day.
- Use multiple methods to advertise your open house to capture as large of an audience as you can; remember that some people may only check Kijiji while others scour the newspaper.
- The morning of the sale give yourself an hour before the sale starts to set everything up. If you have the space you could even try prepping some tables/racks the night before and store in the garage overnight.
- Don’t forget to put out your garage sale signs. Make sure the writing is large enough for cars driving by to read.
- When setting up your sale, organize like items together; clothes, toys, housewares, etc. If you have a lot of clothes to sell consider sorting them by mens/womens/kids.
- You don’t want to seem pushy so let your customers come to you. Give them a quick ‘hello’ as they come up your driveway to make them feel comfortable but stay seated and leave them to browse. If they have a question, they’ll ask!
- You will likely have items leftover from your sale. Instead of packing them up and putting them back in the basement, consider donating them to a goodwill or thrift store. For large or bigger ticket items you can try selling them online on sites like Kijiji.
Garage sales can be a lot of work but they can also be a great way to get rid of unwanted items while at the same time making you some cash!